Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A Wrecking Ball of a Day

After three hot and hazy summer days, it's climbed to over one hundred degrees here today with accompanying fug and nasty tempers all around. The bookstore is closed today (we're closed Mondays and Tuesdays and February) and there's only one measly book order from the Internet, so I've got hot cross buns too. The fact that my teenage daughter is pestering me to allow her to pierce her septum
and the tween daughter just hosted two of her giggliest buddies for a sleepover which had nothing to do with sleep only adds to my grump index. The gigglers secreted in two cans of "Rock Star", a diabolical energy drink which to my relief does not contain heroin and rock cocaine, but merely unspeakable amounts of sugar, caffeine and gingseng extract. While they did not trash guitars around the house all night, they did repeatedly wake everyone else up.

I am trying to keep things in perspective. The shot above of a wrecking ball on the loose at Allegheny College today diminishes my inner gremlin. I see glimpses of hope for my currently insane offspring. There's boxes of wonderful recently-acquired history books to price and shelve tomorrow, which will require me to nip into the 65 degree bookstore basement on a constant basis. And the peas are ready for picking in the garden, so until tomorrow....

No comments: