Friday, May 18, 2007

Bookstore Drudgery



I have embarked on a dreary Spring Cleaning project at ye old bookshop: I am going through the 7,000 books currently listed on our website (winnowed out of 50,000-60,000 books on the shelves)in an effort to refresh our listings. The first books were launched onto the Internet last century (1999), so I am starting from scratch and trying to locate the older books, dust and reprice them, and in many cases, launch them into the donation/recycle pile.

What was I thinking in listing some of these books? What sane individual would really be interested in a two-volume, tattered Dictionary of International Biography from 1969-70? Beatup book club AND ex-library copies of common mystery novels? 1960s genetics and medical titles? This is obviously a much-needed exercise in scrambling up my shelves. Biblio-archaeology.

While I'm at it, I'm using my formerly cutting-edge clunky 2 megapixel digital camera (I do use a memory card, but it has the ability to load pictures onto a floppy disk) to shoot photos of our online books, so you'll be seeing lots more images on our Old Saratoga Books website.